Thursday, January 29, 2015

A Dresses For Cambodia UPDATE :: The Response


Colour me stunned! Your response to the #DressesForCambodia campaign has absolutely blown me away! I expected a few of you to respond, maybe three? Instead, I have had emails from all across New Zealand, people I don't know are telling me people I don't know shared my post and they would love to be involved in making a dress for a Cambodia street child.

This all came about because of one of my favourite human beings - her name is Sarah. Although I don't know her that well, we have been in touch for the last 7+ years. She lives in Cambodia, and inspired me to no end with her complete love of others and her faith and dedication to serving them.

She told me about an organisation in Cambodia that picks up street children each morning, aged 2-5 (let that sink in) and they clothe, feed and teach them for the day. Mostly, the children are given soccer uniforms to wear. 

I'd like to think that a girl can appreciate a pretty dress wherever she is in the world, so I asked Sarah if I made some dresses for her, would that be something she thinks would be useful. To which she said would be amazing. To be able to give beautiful handmade dresses of love from across oceans, to little girls who may feel hopeless and alone. 

I had in mind to make 20 dresses by myself, which Sarah was delighted with. When I posted it about it on my blog, I was blown away, and... actually... (I'm a little nervous putting this out there)... I think we might end up with more than.... 100!! Thats just a guess. But it seems entirely reasonable now! 

How CRAZY! 

When dresses start arriving and I have more of an idea of how many we will have, Sarah will make contact with some other organisations to see if she can spread the love.

Closer to the time, I would also like to do some fundraising to pay for the shipping to get them to Cambodia. Sarah was going to slip my 20 dresses into a crate she was taking over with school supplies, but I think she might need a bigger crate now ;) More on that later.

Here's my original post, which has the information you'll want to know before you start sewing. And if you're not a sewer - it also has info about how you can sponsor a dress for $15! 

Man. I love you ladies so much. 

Lastly, I'll leave you with a totally cute photo of Jacob, sporting the first dress that has been made for #DressesForCambodia :: Made by Bridget. He's a size 6-9months, wearing a size 2! Totally adorable. 



READ MORE:
Information and details on Dresses For Cambodia
Want to know more about me and what I do? Check out The Sisterhood , or browse this blog.

4 comments:

  1. Thats fabulous news Sophie!! Woohoo!! Can't wait to get started too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make some too! I just bought some labels from Pattern Postie so no excuses now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love tHis sophie, love your crazy big heart that brings people together around something worthwhile. You go girl!! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Wowee! Thanks for leaving a comment :)

Pin It button on image hover